I love trying to capture a story, movement or an emotion in a single frame, and if I could get the viewer to stop and look at that image for 10 uninterrupted seconds I won. But in this age of gen Y, iPhones, Instagram, twitter, youtube etc most people only spend on average 1 to 3 seconds looking at an image before they move on. My clients and I want your attention for much more than 1 to 3 seconds so I have been working on making audio visual presentations that take the essence of my photography and put it into video. And hopefully hold your attention for 10 seconds again.

We started by shooting the video in a pitch black studio with a Bowens 1.5 Octagonal soft box from above, a Broncolor P70 and a broken mirror using modelling lights and flash. We filmed it with the Canon 1DX with a 50mm lens on a studio camera stand. The filming took about 5 hours. A week later we shot the stills using the same lighting using flash only and shot it on the Hasselbald H5D-50. In some go the frames to create the same feel of movement as the video I set the camera’s shutter speed at 1/2 a second and fired the flash 3 times in that 1/2 second.

Then came the editing, I made a looped drum track with some accents, then did a ruff  video edit to it in Final Cut pro X , I imported the ruff video edit into Logic Pro X and spent 6 hours writing, recording and mastering the music score before returning to Final Cut Pro X to finish the editing to the music score then export. The whole editing process including music took about 14 hours, + 10 hours of Youtube tutorials :). Total: Video shot, editing and music 19 hours, Photo-shoot and editing 4 hours.  I really enjoyed taking a concept further than just a single frame. Thanks heaps to my AMAZING team and yes I know I’m a control freak.

The video is best viewed full screen and loud

Rhainnon_14-05-22_0020

Rhainnon_14-05-22_0631

Model: Rhiannon Tragear-Ragg Vicious Models
Hair & Make-up: Dani J Fuentes Mua
Assistant: Natascha Verkaik
Styling: Vicious Creative
Video Production & Music: Peter Coulson

Lighting: Bowens 1.5 Octagonal soft box above, a Broncolor P70 and a broken mirror

Model:Hasselblad H5D-50c
Shutter Speed:1/250 second and 1/2 second
Aperture:F/9
Focal Length:80 mm
ISO Speed:100

Tagged with:

15 Responses to RaRa the Video (NSFW)

1. Annie Grice says:

Adore – A favourite set of your work for me most definitely – The Third Image just screams for someone to sweep her hair from her face and kiss her – beautifully captured Peter – Great work by your team

2. Annie Grice says:

OMG have just watched the video – It’s Insane!!! Your a Genius!

3. Hyrom Jones says:

Well Done Peter. Truly magnificent & inspiring. Great Model posing & expression. Sincere gratulations to her, for a job well done. Cheers, H. :)

4. Hyrom Jones says:

Well Done Peter. Truly magnificent & inspiring. Great Model Posing & Expression/s. Sincere congratulations to her, for a Job Well Done. Cheers, H.

PS: FYI – I spent more than 10 seconds viewing the Images. :)

5. Belinda Grace says:

You constantly stand out with your work..this has me in awe of your talent……an amazing team also….there was an element of innocence mixed with confidence….a video that will stay with me for it’s artistic style and creativeness…..amazing !

6. Gloria Zahra says:

Always, always, always insanely gorgeous work! Congratulations :)

7. The editing in the video are stunning….actually, I can`t think of the words to describe it and do it justice….Brilliant work, brilliant editing and gorgeous model!

8. Don Urban says:

Only two words: fucking amazing.

9. Des Harris says:

Fantastic. Did a double take when I saw you did the music too. Love it.

10. Wonderful. Great edit, great light and concept. And I spent much more then 10 seconds looking at it and the stills. You won!

11. Understand the logic of the video but for me it’s your stills that stop me in my tracks every time. Spent way longer looking at them than the video. So for my 2c worth please 19 hours more of stills oh lighting guru.

12. Bassam Diab says:

i really like this work,
    this is real art

13. Colby Files says:

Well you got my attention for much longer than 10 seconds. One of the finest pieces of art I have seen in a long time. Just the still alone were enough to captivate me…but that video. Brilliant work. Stunning in every way.